Why should we use Bamboo instead of plastic?

Why should we use Bamboo instead of plastic?

Plastic is ubiquitous and being used inevitably by everyone every day. Because plastic is easy and cheap to produce, durable and lightweight. And due to its versatility, plastic has gained popularity. The use-and-throw approach to plastic has made a huge impact on our environment today. And what's more frightening is that people are not aware that plastic affects health and have overlooked its side effects. This colossal dependence and reliance on plastic has led to the production of 348 million tonnes of plastic a year. Shockingly, only 10% of the plastic is being reused or recycled. And the rest of the 90% plastic is being dumped into landfills.

On the other hand, the problem caused by the plastic doesn't stop with land but is extended to oceans and seas putting the marine life at great risk. Nearly 8 million metric tons of plastic waste is found in the oceans and seas which contribute to almost 80% of marine waste. As a result of this, more than 650 marine species are affected by plastic waste and are at risk. Scientists have predicted by 2050, the ocean will be flooded with plastics more than fishes if we continue at this rate.

To overcome this crisis, we all should start using sustainable products that are biodegradable and reduce the usage of plastic in our daily lives. The best alternative to replace plastic is Bamboo! Bamboo is an incredible plant/tree. Read further to know "Why should we use Bamboo instead of plastics?"

1. Bamboo is Sustainable and Fast-growing plant

Bamboo is a natural and sustainable resource that helps us build an eco-friendly lifestyle. Bamboo is one of the fast-growing plants on the Earth and it requires a very minimal amount of water compared to other plants/trees. It takes only 3-4 months for bamboo plants to grow and mature while other trees take around 30 years. Bamboo is very versatile and can be used for many household applications. And most importantly bamboo doesn't require any kind of pesticides when cultivating it. And this makes Bamboo the best alternative to replace plastic, as plastic is made from harmful chemicals. Unlike plastic, the bamboo products will not end up in landfills as they are biodegradable.

2. Bamboo is highly durable

Bamboo is highly durable because of their phenomenal strength. Due to their remarkable mechanical properties, bamboos are often referred to as "Green Steel". As strong as they are, the bamboo has incredible lifespan making it the best alternative to plastic. Almost all household products can be made of bamboo.

3. Safe and Hygienic

Bamboo is rich in antimicrobial bio-agent known as Bamboo Kun. Bamboo Kun is found in the bamboo fibre and it gives bamboo an anti-bacterial property. This anti-bacterial property prevents all kind of bacterial and microbial contamination in bamboo products. But this is not the case with plastic. Plastic contains BPA which is harmful to our body and plastic is not biodegradable. And now, Bamboo is also used to make Cutlery and kitchenware like Bamboo plates, Bamboo Cups, Bamboo Dinner set, Bamboo Bowls and much more. Bamboo is a safe alternative to plastic as they are eco-friendly and safe to use.

Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.

1 of 3